Tillsonburg Soccer Club Programs
U7/8 Boys & Girls
“Fun with the Ball”
Skill development at this stage should be well structured, positive and FUN; and should concentrate on developing the ABC’s of Agility, Balance and Coordination plus Speed. Coaches should create a stimulating learning environment where the atmosphere is about freedom and fun.
Learning to understand the movements going on around them is a critical skill to be developed at this age. Playing small-sided games, 3v3, 4v4 etc. can develop a player’s ability to read what others are going to do (the play) based on their movements.
Let your players make decisions, expose them to working out problems and finding their own solutions.
At this age goalkeepers can be introduced although players should play in all positions including goalkeeper. Again no scores or standings are maintained. Players will play a fair amount of time in each position.
Areas of Focus
- Individual Technical work: take the mentality of the age and fit into
- activities developing technique
- Dribbling, passing, shooting
- Everybody with a ball as much as possible
- Comfortable moving the body and ball together
- Dribbling – feet - rolling the ball, pushing it, stopping it, introduction of surfaces, running with the ball, intro of specific moves (fakes, feints and turns) using above skills
- Passing – inside of foot, outside of foot, under the ball, techniques with movement, head up
- Receiving – feet, thighs, chest, – catching, receiving ball w/feet, preparing
- Finishing – both feet, volleys – all very introductory and basic
- Tackling – Introduction -basic techniques, block tackle, toe poke
- Ball Mastery with more movement, creativity, and all surfaces
- Individual Tactics –they are starting to conceptualize, so just allow for games/activities bring out decision-making opportunities.
- Games, activities, exercises should mirror the game and tactical implications are within the game, but keep objectives on technical development.
- Small-sided games are fun and challenging, 1v1-2v2-3v3-4v4 and 5v5
- Simple Tactics – get away, keep ball, get ball back, and pass it – all focusing at an individual stage that is about all they can understand, with no pressure to play
- Basic goalkeeping introduction e.g. catching, diving, jumping - for all players
Tillsonburg Soccer Club
PO BOX 276
275 Quarterline Road
Tillsonburg,ON N4G 4H5
Telephone: (519) 688-3002
© 2023 Tillsonburg Soccer Club